Wednesday

Meet the Real Breast Cancer SURVIVORS of Snohomish County

Don't judge me.  I am a Real Housewives fanatic.  I've seen virtually every episode of every season with the exception of DC and Miami, which were both a hot mess (IMHO).  So, I think you should all be introduced to this year's cast of real and actual breast cancer fighters/survivors from Snohomish and surrounding cities (as they relate to moi).

Kimberly A. 

  I met Kimberly at Snohomish Boot Camp.  We were both regulars at the 5:30 a.m. class and got to know each other through our struggles with diet and exercise.  I was diagnosed on October 27th, and she was diagnosed on October 28th.  Crazy.  She's had a much rougher treatment regimen than me, but has the most amazing outlook and attitude and is nothing short of inspirational.  She's been such an important touchstone and I'm so glad I know her!  You can check out her blog here:  Kimberly's Journey.

Tracie E.

 

Tracie is also a Snohomish Boot Camper.  She had just started attending shortly before I was diagnosed, and another camper referred me to her after I found out about my cancer.  It's amazing how this disease can create immediate friendships.  Tracie was diagnosed in the fall of 2010 and has completed treatment and is doing A-MAZING!  It's so great to see someone a year out from diagnosis and doing so well.  She's walking proof it can be done and that hair does grow back!

Tracy L.

I cannot even tell you how important Tracy has been to me through this journey.  Tracy has twin daughters that play for the softball team my husband helps coach.  I don't know that we had ever had a single conversation, but I had heard through the grapevine that she was diagnosed with breast cancer this summer and was in the midst of her treatments when I found out about mine.  I was so desparate to talk to anyone about what I was going through, and what to expect, and I went out on a limb and asked a mutual friend for her phone number.  She was so great!  She told me everything.  We talked about treatment options, surgical options, emotions, our husbands, kids, how it felt, how it looked, and how does life go on after.  She gave me advice and listened while I broke down and cried.  She kept telling me "You'll get through it.  I know it doesn't feel like that now, but you will".  She was right.  The days of falling apart are fewer and farther between, and have been replaced with optimism and excitement for my future. 

Honorary cast member-Dawnelle J. (there's always one that doesn't fit the criteria)

  I feel the need to mention my dear friend Dawnelle here.  She doesn't have breast cancer, but she has been my go to girl for research and motivation.  She has sent me dozens of inspiring messages and has been there for me through this entire journey; making me laugh, bringing me things, and she took those beautiful family photos.  Her mom recently went through uterine cancer treatment and has had some great advice from that experience.  Who knew when I started working at that bank 20 years ago that we would be here today?  Love you and thank you!

Libby H.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you don't need to know about me but I'll give you the specs.  Diagnosed on October 27th, 2011 with Invasive Lobular Carcinoma at the age of 39.  I had a lumpectomy and am currently receiving chemotherapy (number 2 of 4 is tomorrow-halfway baby!).  I enjoy Pina Coladas and getting caught in the rain.  I'm not into yoga,but I'm into Champagne.  (wait that's a song, right?)  Anyhoo, you get the idea.

It has been such a gift to have access to all of these women throughout this "season".  I hope that I have the opportunity to support someone going through this in the same way they've supported me.  I know it would have been a much tougher journey without their inspiration and love.  I love you all dearly!

***DISCLAIMER***
The Real Breast Cancer Fighters/Survivors of Snohomish County is a very EXCLUSIVE club.  I know, it seems like a BLAST and you may be thinking you'd like to join our little group.  I'm sorry, your request would be adamantly denied by all of us.  We've got enough members and can only hope no one EVER qualifies to join our group, EVER.  (But if you are forced, please feel free to reach out). 

 
 



2 comments:

  1. Libby - I love reading your blogs. I often have tears in my eyes as I read your words but with a smile on my face; I love your sassy sense of humor sprinkled on such a brave battle! You are often in my thoughs...XO Michele Howell

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that you have survived this disease. Can you tell me if you have tried to use alternative cancer treatments? I want to know really, but I am glad that you have overcome the sickness.

    ReplyDelete