Monday

On the 6th Day of Christmas My Doctor Gave To Me...Education On Chemo-ther-a-py!

Today was my first "official" day as a patient of Dr. Jiang at the Cancer Partnership in Everett.  I had what they call "chemo education".  Basically they bombard you with anything and everything you could possibly want/need to know about chemotherapy and it's effects.  Once again, I'm amazed by how crazy smart these scientists and doctors are. I mean how do they find the exact right combinations of drugs to kill these specific cells?  And, how do they do it without killing you in the process?  I am so fortunate to have access to fabulous health care, and lucky Jeff has great insurance through the City of Redmond. 

This whole thing is going to be an interesting process.  It's very complicated (at least it seems that way to me right now) with all the drugs you need to take prior to chemo, blood draws before, blood draws after, immune boosting shots, white cells, red cells, platelets, yada yada yada.  Thank God they gave me a binder with all the details because I retained very little from the actual meeting. 

I will say I was pleased with the Cancer Partnership in general.  They have a lot of educational support, classes, support groups, as well as a wonderful resource room where you can get anything from hats to wigs to port protectors.  Very well done.

 We also got a tour of the infusion suites where I'll be getting my chemo.  Today there were quite a few "younger" patients in there and it was actually sort of awkward.  You kind of make eye contact and almost want to say something like "yup...me too".  But you just avert your eyes and keep walking.  Of course I wanted to start handing out bracelets but that might have scared them, so I didn't.  There'll be time enough for that anyway.

So my next big day is Wednesday when I'll be getting my port placed.  Should be fun!!!!  I did get a port protector (a padded pillow sort of thing to protect the port where the seat belt hits) with cats on it.  Sweet!
One last thing.  I want to show you what my dear friend Kyla posted on Facebook yesterday.  Apparently her daughter, Brianna, was making a gingerbread house with her grandma, and thought of me.  
I think this is just about the sweetest thing I have ever seen.  Thank you Miss Brianna Seek!

3 comments:

  1. It is a lot to take in, isn't it? Do you know yet how many sessions you will have. I think of both you and Kimberly every day. Let me know if you need anything!! Tracey Elfstrom

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a lot to take in, isn't it? Do you know yet how many sessions you will have. I think of both you and Kimberly every day. Let me know if you need anything!! Tracey Elfstrom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great Big Hugs, Libby. If you need me to drive you to appointments please let me know. XOXOXOXOXOXO Y

    ReplyDelete